What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of text that websites send to the browser and is stored in the user's terminal, which can be a personal computer, a mobile phone, a tablet, etc. These files allow the website to remember information about your visit, such as language and preferred options, which can facilitate your next visit and make the site more useful when customising your content. Cookies play a very important role, by improving the site user experience.
How are cookies used?
By browsing this web portal, the user is accepting that cookies can be installed on their terminal and allow us to know the following information:
- Statistical information on the use of the site.
- The preferred web format for access from mobile devices.
- The latest searches performed on the web services and personalisation data of these services.
- Data of the connection with social networks for users who access with their Facebook or Twitter user.
Types of cookies used
This website uses both temporary session cookies and permanent cookies. Session cookies store data only while the user accesses the site and permanent cookies store the data in the terminal for access and use in more than one session.
Depending on why the data obtained through the cookies are processed, the website may use:
These allow the user to navigate through the website or application and use the different options or services available there. For example, these control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access restricted parts of the site, recall the items that make up an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during browsing and store content for playing videos or sound.
These allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined in their terminal or that the user has set. For example, the language, the type of browser where you access the service, the selected content design, geolocation of the terminal and the regional configuration from where the service is accessed.
Statistical analysis cookies
These allow the monitoring and analysis of user behaviour on websites. The information collected through this type of cookie is used in the measurement of the activity of the website, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, in order to introduce improvements in the service based on the usage data that users make.
On some websites you can install cookies from third parties that allow you to manage and improve the services offered. For example, statistical services of Google Analytics.
How can I manage cookies in the browser?
The user has the option to allow, block or delete the cookies installed on their computer by configuring the browser options installed on their terminal:
To adjust the permissions related to cookies in the Google Chrome browser:
- Click on the menu located on the toolbar (upper right, a symbol with 3 lines).
- Select Settings.
- In the pop-up window, at the bottom, click on "Show advanced options".
- In the ‘Privacy’ section, click on the Content Settings button.
- In the cookies section you can configure the options.
More information about Google Chrome
To adjust the permissions related to cookies in the Mozilla Firefox browser:
- At the top of the Firefox window click on the Tools menu.
- Select Options.
- Select the Privacy panel.
- From here you can configure the option that interests you most.
More information about Firefox
To set the permissions related to cookies in the Internet Explorer 9 browser:
- In the top the Internet Explorer window, click on the Tools menu or go to a cogwheel icon also located in the upper right.
- Select the Security tab and use the Delete browsing history option to delete the cookies. Check the cookies box and then click Delete.
More information about Internet Explorer
In some browsers, you can configure specific rules to manage cookies per website, which offers more precise control over privacy. This means that you can disable cookies from all sites except those that you trust.